- For $1,400, you’ll get about 13% more apartment space in Florida than the 829 square foot average in the 100 most populous U.S. cities.
- Of the 101 Florida cities included in our research, Winter Haven and Coral Gables had the largest and smallest apartments, respectively, for $1,400.
- Use the calculator at the end of the article to find out how much space you can rent in Florida, whatever your budget.
Undeniably, space is something that we all came to appreciate in the past year during the pandemic, as it became increasingly more important for everyone, especially apartment dwellers.
So, RENTCafé analysts reviewed how much space you could rent across Florida for $1,400, which is close to the state’s average monthly rent of $1,440. Based on Yardi Matrix data — and a bit of research — we’ve highlighted the cities where apartments offer the most and least bang for your buck.
It turns out that Florida is a great place to call home, as most cities here offer rather spacious apartments. On average, you can get 937 sq. ft. of living space for $1,400 in the state, more than the 829 sq. ft. you can rent for the same amount in the top 100 most populous cities. This means that Florida apartments offer 13% more space for the same price.
We put together the following infographic, which compares apartment sizes in the 101 Florida cities included in our study. The size of the tiles represents the actual proportion of apartment space available for $1,400.
Throughout the state, the size of apartments you can rent on a $1,400 budget varies from 513 sq. ft. in Coral Gables to more than twice as much space in Winter Haven (1,277). Falling on opposite ends of our ranking, these two Florida cities are also located in opposite parts of the state at a 220 miles distance from one another, with Coral Gables in the South-East and Winter Haven up in the North.
Top 5 Cities with Most Apartment Space for $1,400
Winter Haven, located in the Lakeland metro, is where you can find the most apartment space in the state, of 1,277 sq. ft., for that fixed amount. The city has an average rent of $1,050 — one of the lowest in Florida — making this community of almost 41,000 people an affordable and desirable place to live in.
Meanwhile, $1,400 can also pay for generous amounts of square footage in other cities, like Orange Park (1,270) — which is just outside of Jacksonville —, as well as Titusville (1,246), a city sixty miles East of Orlando. Panama City and Ocala also made the top 5, with 1,233 sq. ft. and 1,220 sq. ft., respectively.
All of these cities boast local average rents between $973 and $1,167 — below the state’s average — making them great choices for those looking for ample apartment space and lower rents.
Top 5 Cities with Least Apartment Space for $1,400
Conversely, the least space you can get for the same money in Florida is usually in cities where rents are higher, but overall the quality of apartments is better and they are generally considered to be more desirable locations. For example, Coral Gables apartments — where rents go for an average of $2,644 a month — offer around 513 sq. ft. for $1,400.
Next up are Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale, both in the Miami Metro and among the cities in the state where you get less space for that money, but you’ll live in some of the most sought-after locations. Specifically, in Miami Beach you get only 592 sq. ft. and in Fort Lauderdale apartments, only 663 sq. ft. for the monthly rent of $1,400.
The top 5 is closed by Doral and Boca Raton. In Doral, the same amount will get you smaller spaces of 680 sq. ft. but you’ll be able to enjoy suburban living while Boca Raton apartments offer 686 sq. ft. and the perk of admiring views in buildings that are oceanside. So, if you do decide to choose one of these cities, know that you’ll need to shell out between $2,009 and $2,644 for the monthly rent.
What You Can Rent for $1,400 in the 3 Largest Florida Metros
Here’s how much space you can get for $1,400 in Florida’s top three largest metros:
In the Miami metro, Homestead apartments tend to offer more living space for that money. Here, you can get 1,041 sq. ft. for the monthly rent of $1,400. Lauderhill and Lauderdale Lakes also prove to be great cities to live in because the space you could get here would also be substantially large of 1,028 sq. ft. and 978 sq. ft., respectively.
Meanwhile, the cities that offer the least space in the Miami metro are Coral Gables (513 sq. ft.), Miami Beach (592) and Fort Lauderdale (663).
Apartments for rent in Miami — the metro’s main city — come with 714 sq. ft. for the rental price of $1,400.
In the Tampa metro, the top cities that offer the largest space for $1,400 are Port Richey (1,205 sq. ft.), Plant City (1,192 sq. ft.) and New Port Richey (1,168).
On the flipside, St. Petersburg is where you’ll find the least space in the metro, of 851 sq. ft. However, its location between the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay is more than ideal.
Apartments for rent in Tampa — the metro’s main city — come with 916 sq. ft. for the rental price of $1,400.
Longwood apartments come with 1,108 sq. ft., the largest space you can get for the monthly rent of $1,400 in Orlando metro. Clermont and Apopka are also generous cities in terms of space, as they both offer more than 1,050 square feet for the same amount.
On the other hand, the least space in this area is found in Maitland, where you can get only 866 square feet, considerably less than the rest of the metro.
Apartments for rent in Orlando — the metro’s main city — come with 950 sq. ft. for the rental price of $1,400.
See How Much Space You Can Get on Your Budget
Want to find out how much space you can afford based on your budget in these 101 Florida cities? Use the calculator below.
Apartment size for your budgetSq. ft.
- This report was prepared by RENTCafé, a nationwide apartment search website that enables renters to easily find apartments and houses for rent throughout the United States.
- To compile this report, we analyzed average rent price and apartment size data provided by Yardi Matrix, RENTCafé’s sister company that researches and reports on large-scale multifamily properties of 50+ units. Yardi Matrix is a business development and asset management tool for brokers, sponsors, banks and equity sources underwriting investments in the multifamily, office, industrial and self-storage sectors.
- State average rent and apartment size information is based on data for 857,000 market rate units and 3,800 multifamily properties across the entire state of Florida.
- The average apartment space per $1,400 of rent was calculated by dividing $1,400 by the average cost of rent per square foot in 101 Florida cities with a statistically relevant sample size of apartments.